Sunday 28 October 2012

SCILLY BLUES

After what seems like an age, well 5 years to be exact I've once again succumbed to the lure of The Scilly Isles and placed myself in 'The Zone' so to speak.
2007 was truly forgettable for reasons I'm not going to remind myself of...a case of if only??
Anyway in the zone I am and in a tent I am. At the ripe old age of fifty something I decided to try and relive bygone days in the hope Scilly would do the same. 1981 was my first ever 'under canvas' Scilly and what megas it delivered...NIGHTHAWK and ORPHEAN WARBLER with a supporting cast of Booted Warbler, Ortolan, Pink Stink, Melodious Warbler, Grotfinch, Barred Warbler, RBF, Arctic Warbler, Spotted Crake, Barn Owl (what a Scillies tick), Bean Goose, Black Duck, YBW, Firecrest, Lap and Snow Bunts, Wryneck and a Golden Oriole plus loads of common migrants.


Mr Wizzal and Groucho play pass the loo roll to break the monotony



The only Wryneck in 10 days!! watched and photographed at Porth Minnick


Holy Vale a shadow of its former self, one 'heard' Yellow browed Warbler was all it could muster.

Things were not as bad as I'm implying there was still a few padders to be had such as..American Golden Plover, Short toed Lark, Pink Stink and a skulking Solitary Sandpiper. On the night of the 16th (birthday boy) we were hit by an Atlantic depression that had swept across in the required minimum of days. The 17th dawned with a trio of Ring-necked Ducks on Porthellick fresh in from the USA...great everybody thought this is the starter for the main course to be found later...we're still bloody waiting !!

There was one sort of decent bird that lurked in the Dump Clump and tested the birding skills (or lack off) in the shape of a presumed Hume's Warbler, incredibly only the 3rd ever on Scilly.


Getting down to some dirty listing, the number of  'birders' who ticked off Chiffy and bog standard YBW remains unclear. All good clean fun though I'm surprised no one claimed a Waterthrush!



The RN Duck trio still a bit flighty!

To pass the time waiting for the mega I indulged in a spot of wildlife listing..





Black Rabbit, Red Admiral, Painted Lady and the most friendliest Black bird I've ever shared a tent with.


more to follow including our ill fated expedition to Annet.


TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment